Hospitals and health care systems routinely collect and hold large amounts of patient data and there is strong emphasis on the need to share this data in order to continually improve upon the services provided to patients and accelerate the research process to deliver improvements in healthcare, such as;
- Providing insights into areas that can
be developed to provide more effi cient
- Offer improved care and treatments
- Enhance the patient experience.
- Enhance existing services and develop
- Ensure a more considered distribution
of provisions and coordination of
The key to successful data sharing and data linkage for the healthcare sector is the trustworthy use of patient data and
That’s where SeRP comes in. SeRP provides the mechanism to exchange data between healthcare organisations (or other relevant external organisations) whilst providing a safe, secure and governed environment to ensure that patient data is safeguarded with confidence. Access to the data is strictly controlled by the data custodians to respect data protection rights and ensure anonymity.
SeRP uses international best practice to de-identify your data with a variety of different approaches e.g. using trusted
third parties that protects data owners and individuals alike.
Government departments are keen to harness the potential of using administrative data for research to identify opportunities where resources can be redirected for the greater welfare of society.
Public agencies that already hold large amounts of data and wish to share it would benefit from appropriately shared data to;
- Improve the welfare of individuals.
- Enhance administrative processes
and procedures for users.
- Identify and recover cases of fraud
and other financial losses that can be
redirected back into public services.
- To produce more accurate official
statistics and develop policies and
services that will benefit society in
a more targeted way.
The benefits to society could be further enhanced if data were not only shared between public agencies, but also with other sectors such as health and social care to give greater depth of understanding to research questions.
SeRP facilitates the availability of administrative data in a safe setting for valuable research and establishes a code of practice for collecting and storing data, creating suitable controls for sharing data and, arguably most importantly, ensures safe guards to protect the identity of individuals and organisations through effective de-identification.
It is widely agreed that access to shared research data not only improves the quality and frequency of new research but also the fact that reusing ‘old’ data for new research questions facilitates innovation, as far less time and effort is expended on collecting data. Add to this the fact that networking and collaboration opportunities increase when data is shared through increased visibility among peers in the academic community.
However, sharing data between academic institutions, although widely supported and acknowledged as a great enabler to scientific progress, is not yet widely practiced. The issues hindering data sharing amongst the Academic community are numerous and complex and include;
- Data owners retaining control of the data.
- Secondary user’s ability to understand and interpret others’ data sets.
- Concerns surrounding the security of storing data.
- Ensuring de-identification of sensitive data.
- The quality of data if it is to be shared.
- Having access to a data sharing process that is simple to use.
SeRP is the complete solution created to solve such issues and opens the way to risk-free, safe and secure data sharing and data linkage in an uncomplicated manner requiring minimum time and effort.
SeRP ensures that;
- Any access to the data is strictly controlled by the data owner and relieves any legal uncertainty to ensure appropriate and agreed use for further research.
- The data management facilities include automatic analysis of the data for quality assessment, and a comprehensive metadata cataloguing system that enables interoperability
and removes any effort on the part of the data owner to have to explain the content of the data.
- It allows permitted users to make sense of data sets and prevents misinterpretation without any additional assistance being required from the data owner.
- Previous problems that are typically associated with the physical act of sharing data, such as how and where
will researchers using the owner’s data store and protect it, are no longer a concern as data stored in a SeRP provides complete reassurance of being contained within a robust, accredited and highly regulated environment.
SeRP simplifies the data sharing and linkage processes in a safe yet accessible environment making it easy for Academics to embrace and engage with the practice of sharing data without the need for technical skills.
SeRP can be incredibly beneficial to commercial strategies and visions. The services offered by SeRP can;
- Reduce the risk portfolio and burden associated with storing sensitive data by providing a well-respected and accredited storage solution.
- Enable companies to enhance their own products and services by providing an accredited platform on which to run real-world data analyses throughout the Research & Development stage.
- Offer a measured and rigorous process to ensure products and services meet, and possibly exceed, the needs of the consumer providing genuine competitive advantage in the
- Bring a whole new level of knowledge to an organisation in understanding their customer better and anticipate wider environmental factors that can impact them.
- Offer data analytics service providers a boost to your powers of prediction using an analysis platform that’s
cutting edge allowing you to do more with data.
- Allow firms at the forefront of AI solutions a technological infrastructure that is capable of handling your requirements for complex data types and advanced analytics.
- Give your products and services an edge by using a recognised, accredited and trusted data environment.
Whether you’re a charity or other non-profit organisation operating in the third sector that works in the public interest, SeRP can help you achieve your objectives by;
- Enhancing your research and delivering impactful outcomes that benefit society.
- Unlocking the potential of third sector data to improve outcomes for those groups that matter most to your
- Enabling safe and secure collaboration with other organisations that operate in the same space with similar stakeholders